Solo Brazilian mom wants to move to Australia!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lora C Lora C 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Lora C Lora C 
    Participant

Hi, everyone!

I suppose there’s lots of Australian queens here, so I figured I could ask for some advice/ideas on how to plan my move.
    Long story short, I am a 25 year old Brazilian, with an 8 months old son. I am a solo mom, my baby never met his dad. I ran away from him while pregnant, because the relationship was abusive (he has narcissistic personality disorder). So I flew from the U.S. where I met him back to Brazil when I was 8 months pregnant, and while healing from all the shit I went through I started my small business. I make stuff for moms and babies, 100% hand and mom-made: facebook.com/ladymadonnamommade
    I have a B.A. in Tourism and I am also a permaculturist and farmer, and have been working with it for a few years now.

So I have this dream that goes way back that is to live in Australia. Now I feel like I have to start making plans, but I know very few people who lived there, and no Australians at all, so I wanted to know if you guys could help me with what should I expect and be prepared for.

For example, could I get a job under the table with a tourist visa (like I did in the US) or are the rules very strict? How difficult would it be for me to be involved in the community being a Latino solo single mom? Ideas on how to make a living and which cities to go? How’s the living cost? etc..

Thank you and Happy New Year!

<3

Profile photo of Cat Cat 
    Participant

Hey there! I’ll be the first one to say Aussie woman are very very welcoming! And I’m sure wherever you chose to move to you would be welcomed into any community or mother group! It sounds like you have some great skills that you could put to use here in Aus but I’m not to sure about under the table work? I live in cairns QLD it’s very touristy town this place I’m sure you would get work easily! Living cost differ from place to place town to town the smaller and more remote the less you’ll pay for rent etc but you may be paying higher costs for food and fuel for a vehicle, if u ever decided to move to cairns (really beautiful place) drop me a PM or I could give you my email. I’d love to make a new friend as I have few myself and I have a 16month old daughter and am 30 🙂

Profile photo of Lora C Lora C 
    Participant

Hi, Cat! Sorry for the delayed response, things are hectic! Thank you so much for reaching out and for the tips!
    I did a little research on Cairns, SO beautiful! I need to sit down and do a more deep consistent research on every possibility, but I’m hoping in no more than 3 years I will be landing in AU! I’ll definitely hit you up when I do so we can get the kids together and have some wine!
    xoxo

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account