The Truth Will Set You Free

A couple of weeks ago I read loads of stories from all different outlets reporting that …

Connie.Truth

… a New South Wales University had made significant changes to some of our countries historic terms.

They are claiming that Australia was invaded instead of colonised.

I speak as a non-indigenous woman, and I believe that this university was without a doubt correct, the invasion was as calculated as it was barbaric. Obviously nobody is interested in a history lesson from a high school drop out ‘blogger’ but….. Just in case anybody has forgotten…

The indigenous people of Australia were identified by the early settlers as “sub-human” in a bizarre attempt to justify the term “colonisation” because nobody wants a term like “invasion” in their history.

Only these changes are of course disputed by a bunch of really ‘important’ men who wear suits and have incredibly impressive titles like “historians” and “ministers”.

Our government prefers the term “colonisation”, it sounds so much nicer doesn’t it? Like white folk stumbled across a country, stuck a flag on it, saw some indigenous folk, shook hands and they all drank tea while the indigenous people agreed that the country’s best interests lie with “colonisation”.

Cute story Australia.

That story was made up to give us a sense of pride for our lands. Bravo.

Nobody wants to hear the truth, a truth of massacre, a truth of slaughter, a truth of resistance and a truth of invasion. Somehow this behaviour was acceptable and condoned by the settlers.

But this is not taught in history books..

What a kick in the teeth to one of the world’s oldest living populations, what an unjust way to serve the spiritual warriors who traditionally owned our lands. To deny them of their history.

The thing is that we can’t change the brutal past, nothing we say or do will change the fact that indigenous women, children and men were killed, locked up, an entire generation of children were stolen from their families.

We can however change our future, we can recognise the crimes of the past – without recognition how can we ask the indigenous people to ever heal? To ever forgive? You can’t expect forgiveness without offering at the very least, recognition. You just can’t.

The indigenous people deserve this and so much more, they deserve formal recognition that their anger, pain and sadness is valid, recognised and to know we are so sorry that it happened.

And the worst part about our little fairy tale of colonisation? The one intended to bring us pride? Is that it does the exact opposite, it brings us shame. Because we can change the present and we can change the future, but we are not. And that brings our country shame.

We live in a sacred country, I want to celebrate that, I want my children to feel proud to be Australian, I believe in a loving relationship between indigenous and non-indigenous Australians and I believe that the truth about our history will get us there.

I was lucky, my uncle was a lecturer in Aboriginal Education for teaching students, he and my aunty took me to indigenous communities from a young age and taught me the truth.

So if the schools won’t, I will teach my children the truth and I am calling on any Queen who agrees to join me,

I won’t let anybody feed my children bullshit about a peaceful colonisation that never happened.

A tough story to tell, but a story of truth none the less and I am giving my children unconditional permission to politely correct anyone who teaches them that our country was colonised, because it wasn’t.

It was invaded.

Australia has a dark history but it could have a bright future.

Change the term.

Teach the truth.

Queens will change the world.

💗 Con

1. Profile photo of Possum
    Possum 9 months ago

The things you learn from a high school drop out ❤️. A different story to the one I learnt in school. (Indoctrinated to believe that) indigenous people were living in the dark ages and ‘we’ helped to bring them forwards 🙊.

2. Profile photo of QueenMother
    QueenMother 9 months ago

My father was one of the stolen generation and he has the original Dutch heritage DNA, he is 88 on ANZAC Day. Even he says, how many apologies do we need and how much recognition? It is time to move on, it happened, Australia was invaded, semantics. No-one is going to heal and the resentment is going to increase in both the Aboriginal indigenous and white indigenous people if these sorts of things are continually raised. Stop the permanent outrage and move on.

• Profile photo of Possum
      Possum 9 months ago

I think on your point re semantics, it’s about calling a spade a spade.

3. Profile photo of Amity
    Amity 9 months ago

From Europe, I completely get what you’re saying. I am devastated with what is happening here right now. Tens of thousands of people, of families, of unaccompanied minors are being bottled up at various borders, treated like crap… I cannot believe it is happening. Babies being born in camps, children disappearing. Everything is so hush hush! Many of us citizens are donating warm, weatherproof clothes, hygiene products, tents, sleeping bags, etc. But sooooo many turn a blind eye. I get so frustrated, I just want to go out and physically shake all of my contacts who never react to my (too) many posts. This is a crucial point in history and I will not tell my children we just stood by and watched as people suffered. We have created an association to help children and are beginning to get more direction (things are still a bit all over the place). It just feels like a tiny resistance act when those governing us don’t give a shit.

4. Profile photo of Anni
    Anni 9 months ago

From the time I was old enough to know the truth, I have called 26th January, “Invasion Day”. I learned from Indigenous Australians about their history. I think it’s terrible that we celebrate Australia Day on that date, when it was the beginning of a genocide.I have taught my kids the truth. I’ve also taught the children in my classes (yes, a teacher) the truth, albeit, a version appropriate for children. And honestly, I don’t know any teachers who talk about colonisation the way it was taught when I was at school. I remember being taught that Captain Cook discovered Australia. There are great Indigenous Study resources these days. Between the great teachers your children will have over their lifetimes and you, I think that the future generations of Australians will get it right.

5. Profile photo of CathinOz
    CathinOz 9 months ago

fucking arseholes coming here & burying babies in the sand up to their necks & then kicking their heads off! shame australia shame. What they did to our indigenous was barbaric & cruel! we cant apologise enough! look at how this day & age theyre treating them still!! Deaths in custody in NT, bulldozing their communities, writing them off as alco’s & petrol sniffers! the depression, the domestic violence, the abuse they get is fucked up big time & makes me physically sick! how can we stand by & allow this to happen to our fellow HUMAN beings, its a disgrace! yes Im very lucky to live on this land but Im not proud to be an australian! we MUST Recognise & apologise & start giving back to the ones who landed here 50,000 years ago! I could go on & on about this topic, but I think you get the drift. Start teaching our future generations the truth about our aboriginals in kindergarten then maybe just maybe we can cut the racist BS that so many grow up believing by the the BS theyve been told in school! Fuck the government for not addressing this shameful issue! Rant over!

6. Profile photo of Kim
    Kim 9 months ago

Graduating as a high school history teacher in Australia, I made an active decision to educate my students the best way i know how, open and honest. I begin all my teachings about Australian History about why it was deemed a colonisation and why ‘I’ believe it was an Invasion. As an educator I know some people say I shouldn’t do this as it isn’t what the syllabus says. But I don’t believe in teaching something that is wrong! I don’t force my students to call it an invasion but in terms of my teachings I explain and show evidence to what colonisation is and compare that to what an invasion is. I discuss and analysis with the students these definitions, compare this to other countries and then to what occurred in our country during the time of the ‘invasion’.
    9 times out of 10 my students decide that it was clearly an Invasion: My job not to force my beliefs but to ensure they are well educated on topic to form their own educated opinion. I 100% agree with the change to invasion. Its a disgrace not too.